Wednesday, September 28, 2011

(Basic) Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce

This is one of my family's favorite side dishes. I love that the sauce is a very good and simple 'basic' sauce but is very versatile. I can add to and change the ingredients to suit the meal. My sunshine's favorite pasta is bowtie so I use it most often, but the sauce works well over any pasta.  I am not very good at following a recipe so I'll try to explain what I do. 

Basic Sauce:
Ingredients:
1 stick real butter (not margarine!)
4 cloves garlic, minced OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder w/parsley
Onion OR 1/2 tsp onion powder (my bunch doesn't like onion pieces so I use powder)
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
4 TBSP flour
3 Cups milk
1 tsp lemon juice
Shredded (not grated) Parmesan cheese
2 tsp chicken bouillon

Heat the stick of butter, garlic, onion, and lemon pepper in a saucepan over med. low heat until bubbly and aromatic. Add 4 TBSP flour and stir constantly to form a thick bubbly roux. (I love saying roux!) 
Stir in 3 cups of milk until all lumps are removed, add the tsp of lemon juice and the 2 tsp chicken bouillon. Continue to stir until the sauce becomes thick and creamy - the consistency you prefer. (This usually takes mine about 10 minutes.) 
Pour over cooked pasta, sprinkle with shredded cheese. 
Enjoy!












No comments: