My sweet niece loves Anna and when I found out she was going to see Disney on Ice featuring Frozen, I wanted to make her something to wear to the show and then to have for playing dress-up later on.
I knew she needed a cape and set out to create one in crochet. As a bonus, I used things only from my "stash". (We won't talk about how big or small my "stash" might be.)
The cape is my creation in crochet and used only 1 skein or less of each color. It will best fit toddlers to 3 or 4 year olds depending on the child. You can certainly make it larger by adding to the starting row and you can make it any length you want.
I found the hat pattern on Ravelry from Adorkablecrochet. It was the perfect look so I made it using her adorable pattern found HERE.
Here is the PATTERN FOR THE CAPE
Toddler to small child size
Please remember that this pattern is not to be copied, changed, posted on any other site, shared or redistributed in any way. You may do what you wish with the finished items, but please only link to this page for the pattern. Thanks and enjoy!
H, I, and 2.35mm crochet hooks
1 skein I Love This Yarn - Mixed Berry
1 skein I Love This Yarn - Grape
J&P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen Gold
Tapestry needle to sew in ends.
Pins and mat for making frog closure (optional)
Stitches you'll need to know how to create to make this cape:
*Sl St- Slip Stitch
*Sc- Single Crochet
*Hdc- Half Double Crochet
*Dc- Double Crochet
*FLO - Front Loop Only - work in the front loop instead of both loops of the stitch.
*FSC - Foundation Single Crochet (There are many great tutorials including videos on how to create this stitch if you are not familiar with it.)
*Bobble - *(YO, insert hook into back hump of 3rd chain from hook, YO, draw through first 2 loops on hook.) 3 times. There will be 4 loops on your hook. YO, pull through all 4 loops. Ch 1, Sl St in the same 3rd chain as the bobble.
1) With H hook and Mixed Berry yarn, FSC 36 stitches.
2) With I hook, Ch 2, turn. Dc in same stitch and in next 5. *(2Dc in next, Dc in next 5)*. Repeat * to end. (42 Dc)
3) Ch 2, turn. 2 Dc in same st, and in next 6. *(3 Dc in next, Dc in next 6.)* Repeat * to end. (54 Dc)
4) Ch 2, turn. 2 Dc in same st. and in next 8. *(3 Dc in next, Dc in next 8) * Repeat * to end. (66 Dc)
5) Ch 1, turn. Dc in same st and in each st across. (66 Dc)
6) Ch 2, turn. 2 Dc in same st and in next 5. *(3 Dc in next, Dc in next 5)* Repeat * to end. (88 Dc)
7) Ch 2, turn. Dc in same st and in next 10. *(3 Dc in next, Dc in next 10)* Repeat * to end. (104 Dc)
8) Ch 1. Dc in same st and in each st across. (104 Dc) Fasten off.
CHANGE TO GRAPE YARN...
9) With right side facing, attach Grape yarn to the upper left corner of the cape, first FSC of row 1, with a slip stitch.
Ch 1, Sc in same st. Working down the side, Sc 13 more evenly to the bottom corner. (14 sc) Ch 1, Hdc in same st. 1 Hdc in each st across to the opposite bottom corner. Ch 1, Sc in same st in the corner. Make 1/2 a turn, work 13 more Sc evenly up the side to top of neck.
To make the collar - You will be working in the SIDE loop of the FSC.
Ch 1, Hdc in each side loop across. (36 Hdc) Ch 1, Sl st to the 1st sc at the corner.
10) Ch 1, Hdc in same st and in each st to corner ch-1 sp. (Hdc, ch1, Hdc) in corner space. Hdc in each st to opposite corner. (Hdc, ch 1, Hdc) in corner. Hdc up side to the top corner. STOP. Turn and work back and forth across the sides and bottom.
11) Ch 1, turn. Sc to corner. (Sc-ch1-Sc) in corner. Hdc in each st across bottom. (Sc-ch1-Sc) in corner spaace. Sc up the side.
12) Repeat Row 10, EXCEPT, along the bottom stitches, work in the FLO.
13) Ch 1, turn. Sc in each st to corner. (Sc-ch1-Sc) in corner. Sc in next st on base row and stop.
BEGIN BOBBLE TRIM
To make the bobble trim:
Ch 5, *(YO, insert hook into back hump of 3rd chain from hook,
YO, draw through first 2 loops on hook.) 3 times. There will be 4 loops on your hook.
YO, pull through all 4 loops. Ch 1, Sl St in the same 3rd chain as the bobble.
Ch 2, sc in next 2 sc on base.
Continuing making the bobble trim across the bottom to the other corner. I made 54 bobbles.
To make 2nd layer of cape:
I started the 2nd layer at the base of the trim shown below.
1) Turn Cape upside downand with the back facing you, attach Mixed Berry to the unworked loop of row 12. Attach with a sl st directly below the same color of top cape layer as shown above. Ch 1, Dc in same st and each loop across to the loop even with main color at the opposite corner. (104 Dc)
2) - 3) Ch 1, turn. Dc in each Dc.
4) Ch 2, turn. Dc in same st. Dc in each st across, ending with 2 Dc in last st.
Continue repeating rows 2 - 4 until you reach the desired length. I ran out of yarn at the end of row 15. Fasten off.
With the front of the cape facing you, attach Grape yarn in the first stitch just underneath the bobble trim. (Leave a long tail at the beginning.) You will be working down the side of the cape.
16) Ch 1, sc in same st. Sc 2 in each row of Dc evenly to the corner. (Sc-ch1-DC) in the corner. Dc in each stitch across the bottom. (Dc-ch1-Sc) in the corner. Sc 2 in each row of Dc evenly back up to the top.
17) Ch 1, turn. Hdc down to the corner. (Hdc-ch1-Dc) in corner. Dc across the bottom. (Dc-ch1-Hdc) in corner. Hdc up the side. Ch 1, turn.
18) Repeat Row 16. Fasten off, leaving a long tail.
Use the long tails on each side to sew the loose edges of the second layer of trim to the underside of the first layer as shown. This helps the cape lay flatter. Sew in all loose ends.
You may choose to use a button for a closure or you can create a frog closure like I did. I used Crochet by Faye's tutorial found HERE. I used the gold size 10 thread and the 2.35 mm hook to create the button and closure shown in my photos.